How it works.

Any thing to do with the transcoding implementation.

Re: How it works.

Postby mrmambo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Hey, Jim:

- Yes, transcode is set in VLC; my options screen is like this:
- I choose a file for playback and get an error response within 5-10 seconds
- I get errors for both Transcode and Streaming options

- I don't see a VLC debug file; my folder contains the following:

- If you want to see all my files for debugging, they're here:
https://files.me.com/bigmark/12fq4g

I'd really love to get this working; it's been frustrating, since I'm assuming I'm just missing something. I appreciate your time.
mrmambo

Postby mrmambo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:42 pm

Jim--I think it's working! Don't know what I did, but it's suddenly playing almost any file I throw at it. Awesome! :mrgreen:

In general, the shorter the movie file, the better it plays. I can't play anything over 60 minutes.

I assume this has something to do with VLC transcoding it. I had no problem with a 30-minute Xvid file, but it started choking on a 60-minute AVI and then wouldn't really play The Empire Strikes Back in AVI (I got the opening scroll with no sound after an almost 5-minute wait).
:!: [UPDATE: I looked at the Empire movie file and it's 5.1 AC-3 audio, which I think the VLC transcode is choking on for some reason.]

On the longer clips, the progress bar slowly moves across until it loads. On the 30-minute or less it takes 5-10 seconds and then starts playing.

Thanks again!
mrmambo

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:27 am

First, let me thank you for the comments and suggestions !

There are a couple of problems with running concurrent streams with VLC. One it is a HOG and I need to implement the telnet interface so I can add and remove streams. Right now if the user cancels the stream I just kill the VLC process, same on the Mac. On the Mac though, I kill all VLC processes which is NOT a good idea. Depending on the horsepower of the machine, you might could get three streams going. If transcoding is on all videos get sent through VLC, need a way to be more selective. Maybe I should just turn it off for m4v and mp4 but a lot of them won't play on the Roku either.

The placement of the VLC_Param file is going to change. I would like to have a default in the "My_Roku" folder also have a default for a folder and a individual param file based on the video name. Not all movies are created equal, so this would give the user more flexibility. I keep saying that I'm going to do a dialog window for VLC options, there are a million of them. But when it gets done, you should be able to save them as the main default or anywhere else you want. They would work just like artwork, same name as the video.

I ran into a big problem on the Mac passing paths to VLC, double quotes. I tried escaping but everything I could come up with failed. I'm trying to keep the code between the two platforms as close as possible, so I don't drop anything. But I should be able to add the drive letter.

"Start" is a good idea ! As this is in phase one, I wanted as much debug info as possible. On the Mac, you don't even know that VLC is running. Things just slow down.

When I get the telnet interface going to VLC, I should be able to run him as a system process. But as far as running Chaneru as a service, I'm still up in the air about that. It's oriented towards a family PC, where you have multiple users with their own media. You can have multiple servers running with their own set of files. That way your daughter can have her own music, photos, movies and be up in her bedroom doing her thing. That same with your wife and son. Plus it doesn't get any more simpler than just execute it. There are manual procedures that you can setup Chaneru to be a service. I just prefer to leave it up to the individual.

As soon as I get transcoding nailed down, I'm going to do a rewrite. This thing has grown quite large and the code looks like a spaghetti factory. There is some optimizing I can do to speed things, the iTunes load is horrific. I want to handle USB and DLNA but I can't now because of how I'm handling the files internally. I don't know much about DLNA but it looks like it would require some limited html support. So with that you should be able to have your own themes. The current interface is the default that Roku provided when I started. I want one that is fast to navigate and has usable objects. My main goal is to keep it as simple as possible.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jackbpace » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Is trans coding going to be included in the regular version soon? I was all frustrated because I couldn't find it on mine, then I finally read more and saw I would need beta version.
jackbpace

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:55 am

Yes, I need to do that soon.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby charlesramsay2011 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 am

Maybe get the latest VLC version. I got lots of trouble using lower version until I got the latest one at https://download-free.com/vlc-player

I hope this helps.
charlesramsay2011

Postby bill3000 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:01 pm

where are the parameters used in the presets (ultrafast, superfast, veryfast, faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow, placebo) coming from -or - how do I see what a preset is?

Is it possible to change where "my Roku" is and possibly "LiveStreams"?
bill3000

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:56 pm

The presets are in "VLC_param.txt" in the "My Roku" folder.
The location of the "My Roku" is STUCK under your userid, sorry !

If you are using 2.0, make sure you turn on VLC in both the server "Options" and the app's "Options".
Jim
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Transcoding