VLC Unable to acces

Any thing to do with the transcoding implementation.

VLC Unable to acces

Postby trwalton1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:02 pm

I've review most of the comments on the forums and have not be able to identify this problem. When I try access a video Mp4 and sometimes jpg on the Chaneru channel on Roku, nothing happens. I check my PC and see a label that says "Select location of the VLC Absolute". After selecting a folder and I check OK, I get a trancode label that says "unable to access VLC transcode". When I check OK, I get " Unable to open runstream". When I check OK, shortly thereafter the videos run on my TV. I need to do this to view each Mp4 and jpeg. What do I need to do to correct this? (I have removed both Chaneru and VLC with not change.)

Tom
trwalton1

Re: VLC Unable to acces

Postby Jim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Right now there isn't a way to selectively transcode videos, all or nothing. Most MP4, M4V videos will play after you run them through "Handbrake". Transcoding requires VLC. Chaneru expects the application to be in the default location on a Mac. Windows users could install it anywhere, that's why it's asking. In the next update to the beta, Chaneru will check for VLC in C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\ If Chaneru finds the executable, it wont ask. But for now it asks for the path on the first access to any video file.

You can turn off transcoding in the server's Options.

The reason it goes through asking and the failures BUT still plays the video is because in the Chaneru app,
if I don't get a response from VLC in a given time frame, I try the movie without transcoding.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jayseattle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am

Trying to transcode/stream AVI files:

Roku3
VLC 2.0.0 (downgraded based on this thread info). Installed in standard (x86) location with default options.
Chaneru 2.0.12
Windows 7

Error is always the same:
"Content contains no playable tracks"
"Video Failed
Error:-5 Aux 1"

Added in my Chaneru.ini:
VLC_Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC
jayseattle

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Check and see if the VLC Usage is turned on in the Roku Chaneru App Options for 2.0.12.
Also make sure Transcoding is set in the Server's Options.
You might want to reset the Chaneru.ini file back to the way it was before you modified it.

On the first movie request, the server will setup the Path to VLC.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jayseattle » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Thank you for the feedback, I will keep trying.

I set the path in the .ini file as I never received a prompt to locate the VLC .exe

re:
"Check and see if the VLC Usage is turned on in the Roku Chaneru App Options for 2.0.12."
This is in the Windows application "Chaneru Server for Roku?

Here is a screenshot of my Options page.

thank you
jayseattle

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Click Chaneru on the Roku.
Click the Play/Pause button
Select the Gear on the right
Scroll down till you see VLC.
Is it On or Off ?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jayseattle » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Thank you! Yes I did not know there were additional options via the Roku Chaneru interface.

The avi files do play, albeit not without some re-streaming and stalls, via VLC as a trans coder on the server computer.

I'm currently looking at Avidemux as a quick way to convert my existing AVIs as I am not entirely 100% on Chaneru playing AVI natively.

thanks
jayseattle

Return to Transcoding