How to Connect with Chaneru

Questions and answers about the Chaneru channel and server

How to Connect with Chaneru

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:36 pm

The easiest way to get connected is to execute the Chaneru server and click the start button. Wait until the server shows an IP address at the bottom of it's window. Then go to your TV and Roku, click on the Chaneru channel icon. Click through the trial screen and it should show your server name as an option to connect.

The server sends your local IP address to Chaneru.com and then when the channel checks your serial number with Chaneru.com, it gets back as part of the response the local IP address of your server. It uses that address to ping the server to see if it is really there.

If this doesn't work, there may be a firewall issue !

There have been some problems with the machine actually using a 10.x.x.x address instead of a 192.x.x.x !
Verify that the IP address the sever is showing, is actually the one for the machine.
You can check the IP address on a Mac by going into your "Systems Preferences", "Network".
On Windows, open a DOS window and type in "ipconfig".

If this is the case, go into the server's options and select the correct IP base from the drop down, click update. Then exit the server and restart it.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: How to Connect with Chaneru

Postby freewheeling » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm getting a connection, but the folder it connects to is not the one where I keep the video files I want to watch, and I can't figure out if or how to change it in the Chaneru server. I tried changing it by browsing to another folder, but it then just ignores that input and goes back to the previous setup. So is the location of the primary folder fixed, or can that be changed either at installation of after installation?
freewheeling

Postby freewheeling » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

BTW, the constraints listed on the Chaneru table are not the same as those listed on the Roksbox table: http://roksbox.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=55 Is this because Chaneru does some transcoding, or is the Roksbox info simply not up to date with the latest firmware?
freewheeling

Postby Jim » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:04 pm

That's an old table. Notice no mention of 1080p !

Still working on transcode. It works sort of.
Most mpg and avi files work if the settings are correct.
Trying to come up with general settings, but it's a pain !
Having trouble with 5.1 and HD.

Just because VLC can play it doesn't imply that Roku will !
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jpearre » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 am

I am trying to add Chaneru to my Roku box, but there is no Chaneru icon offered in the lineup of icons in my Roku channel store. I've tried adding Chaneru as a "private" channel, but I can't find an access code at Chaneru.com because the Chaneru.com index has no "versions" section.

What to do?
jpearre

Postby Jim » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 am

Chaneru is in the "Photos & Video" section of the channel store. You need to go to Chaneru.com and click on "Downloads" in the menu items.
The channel store has version 1.4, so you need the 1.4 version of the server.
You could load the private version which is the Beta and again you would need to download the beta version of the server, 1.4b
The beta has any fixes and new features.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby BOLTB1001 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:41 am

i am trying to connect my hp windows 7 to chaneru - i follow the directions but cannot connect - all i get is ''server at that address is address timed out''
BOLTB1001

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:55 am

Can you ping the Roku from the HP ? Do you have a firewall ?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby kbyres » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 am

I'm having the same problem. I'm running an Apple TV in the living room so my media PC is running itunes (Windows 7). I can't get the Roku to see my PC. I run Chaneru.exe and click start. The correct IP shows up at the bottom of the screen. Firewall has already been disabled for the Chaneru executable.
kbyres

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:37 am

What is the IP address of the PC and Roku ?

If you upgrade to 1.4b BETA, there is a new way to connect. In the server's options there is a Connect button that uses the UPnP discovery of the Roku. It sends a broadcast out UDP and any Roku devices that respond, the server will send a ECP function to the box passing it's IP address to use. When the Roku gets this request, it will launch the Chaneru app and pass it the server's IP address. Note, this will launch ALL the Roku devices it finds. Just so you know that all the boxes will start over in Chaneru. The server will display the number of Roku devices it found in the main window.

This will at least verify that the server can get to the Roku.
Jim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chaneru General Discussion