Can i use my PC as the control for my roku playlist

What I need from you to make this a better product

Postby coolmedia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 pm

i want to be able to synch my mediaplayer, or itunes to my PC but i want to control from my PC. example i am outside with my laptop using mediaplayer. i am selecting songs or videos as i choose to, while i am doing this i want the ROKU to mimic, copy, repeat what i am doing. is this possible?
coolmedia

Re: Can i use my PC as the control for my roku playlist

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 pm

That IS a different approach. I don't think it is possible with Windows Media Player but Windows Media Center, might be able to make the Roku appear as an "extender" device.

Right now I don't have a mechanism to "push" content to the Roku, maybe in the future. Then we could come up with a Roku controller that would run on the PC and you could select the media, playlists that you want from the PC.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby coolmedia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:27 pm

that sounds like what i am looking for. having outdoor cookouts its nice to be able to run the music from a laptop and if the roku boxes act like repeaters you can have the party in the entire house if you want. there are many things that this could do for you if it were possible. playing movies, music and more
coolmedia

Postby Jim » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:38 pm

This might help a little - http://apps4tv.com/remoku
It is a web app that allows your wireless device to act as a remote.
Gives you control over the buttons and text entry. Makes entering text easy.
But from your backyard you can't tell what's going on at the TV.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Jim » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am

Chaneru now has it's own web remote. - http://www.Chaneru.com/remote
The remote buttons all function and you can type using your keyboard. The buttons and keyboard work with any channel. You should have cookies enabled so it will remember your IP and channels. I've tried it with Safari, Firefox and IE. Chrome doesn't work for trace, it doesn't like my transfer mode but the other guys do.

You should have Chaneru active to execute any of the commands.

Commands:
* Status - displays the active and rejected DLNA devices. If you click one of the icons, it will display the device XML data or config for Chaneru server.
The USB icon gives a TOC for the thumb drive.
* Trace - Opens a new page with running trace data. You can stop and refresh it to start over.
* Channels - Displays your Roku channel icons and you can click one to launch it.
* History - Shows movies and audio files played with position, time and device.
* Log: On/Off - Turns on, off logging.
* Download - Loads the log data into a new page.
* Reset - Starts the log file over.

You can manually get a trace by typing your Roku's IP-Adrs:12345/trace as the URL.

There is a text area that you can insert media URLs that you can PUSH to the Roku.
You can have multiple audio and pictures URLs but only one video. The music and photos are added to any queue playing. This comes in handy when browsing the web. You can copy and then paste to the text area. Add more items and then PUSH them all to Chaneru.

You can change the text area to a Track Pad and use that for mouse positioning with Chaneru. Sometimes Roku gets very busy and the mouse pointer may be jerky.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Zachgyxe » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Just realized that there is no volume control for videos that are pulled into the application externally. For example, you can use dropbox or google drive to pull in videos but you cannot control the volume. Having a volume slider similar to what is available when you import a video directly into the application would be great.
Thanks
Zachgyxe

Return to Features and suggestions