Transcoding - How would you like it ?

What I need from you to make this a better product

Transcoding - How would you like it ?

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:57 am

With the release of version 1.4, I'm ready to start releasing beta changes for transcoding, using VLC as the decoder. I've been waiting for VLC to release a version that included the HLS splitter but finally gave up. Plus from what I've heard there may NOT be a corresponding version for the Mac. But I think I have found a work around.

From the testing I've done, this won't be a fix all. VLC has a tendency to be a HOG and will hang on some files and Roku still does his thing. I'm currently VLC-ing to a file and then transferring the file via HLS to Roku. Need to come up with a way to have concurrent multiple streams to multiple Roku boxes. But for now it will be one to one. Even If you did have more than one stream, most likely the overhead on the serving machine will max out, at least on mine it does.

The question is what and how much control of the transcoding would you like to see ? Simple, basic, complex, settings by file type ?
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Transcoding - How would you like it ?

Postby kaaparaki » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:32 am

I would love transcoding. I think a simple to modertate control would be right. See air video for iOS. It is very popular. So, when can we expect transcoding support?

Thanks
kaaparaki

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:58 am

The first beta release will be as soon as I can get the Mac version to function. They way it will work is when you click on a file that is not Roku preferred, the server will fire up VLC to convert it to x.264. VLC will place the file in "My Roku/Live Stream/streamXXX". As soon as the server detects that the file has started being built, it will create a .m3u8 index file and start transferring the video to one second ts files. So this should give minimum delay for startup. One problem is that the streamxxx will exist for the duration of the playback and will take up as much or more space that the original. After the video ends all the files will
be removed from "Live Stream". I am also adding a "V" option to be able to save VLC debug info, incase a file wont play.

This isn't a "fix all" because VLC hangs or doesn't decode some files. Also it is a hog and may not be able to keep up which causes the Roku to rebuffer.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby nate » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:03 am

Have you considered ffmpeg over VLC?

Nathan
nate

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:12 am

ffmpeg is included in VLC but there are codecs that have to be compiled. I don't think the general user is up to configuring and acquiring the codecs. The way I have it now, they just have to download the "released" VLC, not the nightly build ! The main purpose of the nightly build was to get the splitter. I wrote my own HLS splitter.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby bill3000 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:03 pm

II would like "total" control, but leave an option or default to keep it simple for people who don't want to mess with it. I think VLC needs to do things based on the input it gets, and the things that seem to matter at least are video container, video codec, audio container, audio codec. No matter what I've tried, preset seems to have no noticeable effect - maybe changing the speed makes it worse, but if you want to continue presets, maybe in addition to those 4 arguments and number or something user defined.

Baseed on the unbalanced braces, I assume the #transcode{ is coming from somewhere else?

And how IS it streaming? There appear to parameters that might be useful if it's http and others if it's udp streaming ect.

So in summary, based on what the server gets as far as audio and video containers and codec, I'd like to give it an entire vlc command line... but then I see what it is now as a partial, fill in the blank attempt for one size fits all.
bill3000

Return to Features and suggestions