Automatically remember where you left off

What I need from you to make this a better product

Automatically remember where you left off

Postby blackjackel » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 am

Two requests:

1- Have it so that chaneru automatically detects and remembers which episodes you've watched and where you are in a series (like netflix does).
So let's say that you have a series with 78 episodes and you're watching number 34 and you get finished with 34 and shut off the chaneru channel, the next time you come to the file that has your series you are automatically taken to episode 35, instead of having to select episode 35 all the way from 0... It would be much easier to keep track of what you've watched that way and less of a hassle scrolling through everything.

2- Have some sort of incentive for people who come up with cool features, maybe if you can think up of two features that get implemented, get chaneru for free ;) I know I can think of tons of useful features :D
blackjackel

Re: Automatically remember where you left off

Postby charliehoward » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:42 pm

To extend blackackel's original suggestion: storing the "resume" position within each video on the Server, rather than in the Roku box, would offer several advantages: 1) even when the Roku box restarts after a power failure or a crash, the "resume" positions stil would be available; 2) an unlimited number of "resume" positions could be stored; 3) Chaneru would behave very much like Netflix; 4) Roksbox can't do this.
charliehoward

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Another advantage would be that you could suspend on one device and resume it on another.
One problem I've had is that I didn't want to store anything from the Roku on the user's PC.
Currently I only do "Gets", no "Puts" but I would also like to be able to store some trace data.
Sometimes it's difficult to guess what the Roku is doing from the server traces.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby charliehoward » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:52 pm

If the problem with storing anything on the user's PC is based on privacy concerns or system stability, it could be a user-selectable option (on the Server), with the default being to NOT store it on the Server. And yes, the ability to resume on another device would be an additional benefit; many of us have multiple Roku boxes.
charliehoward

Postby Kev » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:08 am

One word... AudioBooks. I've been searching for a Roku app with the "remember resume" (fast-forward and fast-reverse would be a huge plus also) feature for audio for some time without success. I am a retired IT professional so I downloaded the SDK and considered building the app myself. Save me from the learning curve and please grant my wish (haha). Be the first on your block to serve audio books in a fashion that wont make you want to scream because you have to listen to the first 30 minutes over again.
My vision is for a selection apart from Music. Video, and Photos called "Audio/Other" which would support the aforementioned enhancements and could be used for audio books, recorded radio broadcasts, taped lectures, etc. I understand your philosophical position on writing to the client disk but, lets face it, it is a small price to pay for such convenience and I for one welcome it. If it would assuage your coding ethic you could implement a user specified size limit for persistent storage like the web browsers do.
Thanks for listening,
~Kev
Kev

Postby bill3000 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:53 pm

great reasons for both behaviors, so probably it needs to be an option. Something like always resume from root/home directory, always try to resume, maybe add resume if not finished, maybe resume from the file you are on, or the next one, or the top of the folder where you were.

What it seems to be doing now is very confusing. If I'm in the top directory, it re-displays next time from home/top of the main dir.. but if I'm in a sub folder, it resumes from the file I was on, from anywhere on the screen it was.

Make everything it could do, an option. or make what it does consistent.
bill3000

Return to Features and suggestions