Subtitles With Special Characters

What I need from you to make this a better product

Subtitles With Special Characters

Postby jplaney » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:57 am

I am 99% satisfied with the product. But I am having a small problem with the Subtitles. I make sure that the.srt file has the same name as the .m4v file and that they are in the same folder. When I do this, the subtitles play perfectly (as long as they are in English). But if I have a .srt file in Spanish, all of the special characters get dropped. And this is frequent with all of the accent marks. I don't see an option to choose Unicode for the text. How would I go about correcting this issue?

And on the same note, can we customize how the subtitles look? The "white" subs get lost against light colored backgrounds. VLC seems to add a black border to the letters to help this out. But the native streaming style from Chaneru only shows the text as solid white.

For now I am just hard coding the subs when I convert the files to the correct format. But when my wife (who is the Spanish speaker) is not watching, I hate having the subs forced on me. Many thanks...
jplaney

Re: Subtitles With Special Characters

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:06 am

I believe that you could have other subtitle file types that do support the special characters and allow for font formatting with colors.
I haven't tried it but VLC should accept the other file formats.

You could just turn off the subtitle option in the server when your wife is not watching.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby jplaney » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:31 am

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. I should have mentioned that when I use the beta version and send the file through VLC, it does handle the subs without issue. I was actually referring to version 1.4. Chaneru will send over the subs, but has trouble with the special characters. To be honest, my PC is just too slow to handle the VLC transcoding on the fly. The audio drops constantly, leaving me with just the video and the subs with only the occasionl surge of sound. (At least I am blaming it on my PC). I could have other settings at fault. Thus, I was hoping to keep it simple and just use the basic version of Chaneru to handle the subs.
jplaney

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Sorry, without using transcoding and VLC, the Roku does the overlays and Chaneru passes the .srt file as is.
There is no way to temporarily change the behavior.
Perhaps in the beta I could check the switch and inhibit subtitles when not transcoding.
Jim
Site Admin

Return to Features and suggestions