Hiding Certain Media Servers or Restricting Access

Release 2 with UPnP discovery

Hiding Certain Media Servers or Restricting Access

Postby FCT » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:51 am

First I apologize if my question(s) are answered elsewhere (I've searched for *hours*) and if they don't make sense (I like technology but I'm a newbie). I'm not running anything fancy - the media servers I'm running are things like Plex, Windows Media Player, Media Monkey, etc.

I'm new to the Chaneru channel (via Roku). I'm wondering if there is a way prevent the Chaneru channel from locating and displaying certain media severs on my home network. UPnP discovery is a great new feature for Chaneru but I don't want all the media from all the servers available via Chaneru. I need to be able to point Chaneru towards specific folders. Basically, I only want the Chaneru server to discover media since I can point it at specific folders. Is there a way to do this and prevent the discovery and display of the other servers? There is content on the other servers that I don't want shared to one specific Roku device - the only server I want to run on that device is Chaneru's server. If it makes a difference, right now that Roku device is the only one I will be running Chaneru on. The other Roku devices will not have the Chaneru channel installed at this time.

I tried running the previous 1.4b version of Chaneru since there is no UPnP discovery in that one and it was fine except I could never get any art or metadata (mainly thumbnails and synopsis for movies and tv shows) to show up. So I thought I'd switch to the newer version in the hopes that the metadata issues were simpler to solve but UPnP discovery is making this difficult to set up.

I honestly don't care which version I'm running at this point (I've been at this all day and evening) but I'm hoping someone can assist me in either:

a) Running the new Chaneru 2.0 via Roku and restricting either the UPnP discovery of, or at least access to, any server except the Chaneru server.

or

b) Running the older Chaneru 1.4b via Roku and assisting me in getting a bit of basic metadata to show up - thumbnails and movie/tv show synopsis (synopsis for individual episodes of tv shows).

Thanks in advance for any help -- I feel quite lost at the moment. Based on how much people seem to love Chaneru and how simple to use most say it is, I know it's something I'm not doing right on my end, but I just can't figure it out.
FCT

Re: Hiding Certain Media Servers or Restricting Access

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:37 am

With Chaneru's 2.0 options (Click Play/Pause and gear on the right) in the second screen (scroll up or down to get to it).

1. You can turn off UPnP and should only see the USB and Chaneru server.
2. You can turn on "Filter Devices" and be selective. It will ask if you want to allow or reject the media server.
3. You can also turn off the USB drive, if you want.

Hope this helps !
Jim
Site Admin

Postby FCT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:00 am

Thank you so much, Jim! I feel like an idiot because that was quite a simple solution. I didn't even know that those options were there at the bottom of the screen. SMH @ myself... lol.

One more quick question though: Is there as way to password protect or restrict someone else from changing those options?

Thank you again!

Jim wrote:With Chaneru's 2.0 options (Click Play/Pause and gear on the right) in the second screen (scroll up or down to get to it).

1. You can turn off UPnP and should only see the USB and Chaneru server.
2. You can turn on "Filter Devices" and be selective. It will ask if you want to allow or reject the media server.
3. You can also turn off the USB drive, if you want.

Hope this helps !
FCT

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 am

No but if you are using the Chaneru server you can protect folders with a PIN code.
Go into the server's options and add folders in the "Private Folders". Make sure you click "Update" when done.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby FCT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:47 pm

I really feel like a pest now, but the PIN code isn't working for the folders.

I tested it initially by using "Roku" as the "folder" to see if I could block the entire channel from being viewed on any Roku device in the house and that worked flawlessly - I was asked for a PIN before I could access the Chaneru Roku channel. :)

I removed the Roku PIN and instead added PINs to the individual folders I didn't want accessed. I made sure to update before exiting the options. I then went into the Chaneru Roku channel and "pretended" that I had "accidentally" turned UPnP back on and accessed the the server containing the folders I don't want accessed - they ALL opened and their contents played. :( I did this several times - making sure to update my options and ensuring the folder paths were correct. I also tried retstarting the Chaneru server and the Chaneru Roku channel. I was never asked for a PIN and the movies and TV shows all played.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the "server" containing the folders I don't want accessed is PLEX.

Am I still doing something wrong? If not, any ideas?

Thanks again for the help!

Jim wrote:No but if you are using the Chaneru server you can protect folders with a PIN code.
Go into the server's options and add folders in the "Private Folders". Make sure you click "Update" when done.
FCT

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:28 pm

The PIN code only works with folders accessed by the Chaneru server. It doesn't do anything for Plex.
Click on the Chaneru server from the media devices screen and then try one of the PINed folders.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby FCT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:06 pm

So, right now there is no way to prevent someone from accessing the Plex server (I've turned off UPnP discovery but that could easily be turned back on)? And no way to prevent access to the folders on the Plex server via the Roku Chaneru channel if they go into the Chaneru options and turn UPnP back on?

I'm trying to prevent (smart and technology-savvy) children in our family (nieces and nephews) from being able to access certain movies and tv shows that they are not allowed to watch. I don't *think* any one of them would deliberately try to circumvent this (ha!), but I'd like to have some peace of mind. Also, I'd like to generally be able to control what content is available via the Chaneru Roku channel. It's lovely that the Chaneru server facilitates this but because of UPnP it becomes a problem because of the OTHER servers.

I realize that Chaneru can't control what is on another server, but ideally I'd like to at least be able to put a PIN code on the Chaneru options (in the Chaneru Roku channel). That way once the options were set on the Chaneru Roku channel, no one could change the options (like switching UPnP discovery back on) without entering a PIN.

If I'm understanding you correctly then, I have no way to completely prevent certain content from being viewed via the Chaneru Roku channel? If you have any other suggestions I'm open--it's very frustrating trying to set up access to entertainment that adults can enjoy while preventing access to that same entertainment by children.

Jim wrote:The PIN code only works with folders accessed by the Chaneru server. It doesn't do anything for Plex.
Click on the Chaneru server from the media devices screen and then try one of the PINed folders.
FCT

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Right now, your only option would be to not have the Plex server or anything else (UPnP) running that could get to your files.
You should be able to go into those servers and specify what folders to scan.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby FCT » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:44 pm

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions! I'll try to be silent for a while now. :)

Jim wrote:Right now, your only option would be to not have the Plex server or anything else (UPnP) running that could get to your files.
You should be able to go into those servers and specify what folders to scan.
FCT

Postby atc98092 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:59 am

FCT,

Plex provides a fantastic user interface for the Roku, but has its limits as you have seen. There is another option you might consider for your DLNA server. Serviio is an outstanding DLNA server, and has the correct provide for using a Roku with the Chaneru channel. Jim did a great job getting the profile working. :D Serviio also supports playlists, which is the major reason I don't use Plex as my primary DLNA server.

A feature of Serviio is the ability to grant or restrict device access on an individual basis. By default, all playback devices are allowed access when they first connect. This can be changed so that a device is blocked until you (or someone with access to the control panel) allows the device access. It also has the ability to restrict access to individual folders. I've never used that option, so I'm unsure how to set it up.
Using Serviio and Plex. Have 2 Roku 2 XS boxes and several Sony SNP-N200 media players, plus a Panasonic ST30 TV that all stream.
Server 4 core AMD 8 gig of ram, Windows Server 2003 R2 x64, gigabit with 802.11N WiFi access points (all players wired)
atc98092

Return to Chaneru 2.0