Metadata descrepencies

Release 2 with UPnP discovery

Metadata descrepencies

Postby atc98092 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:05 am

Jim,

I noticed that when I use Chaneru to view the metadata of a video, it doesn't always seem to be the correct movie. An example I can think of off the top of my head, I have "The Manchurian Candidate", from 1962. Serviio shows the correct year on my Sony players (the file is named correctly with the year), so I believe it is collecting the correct metadata. However, when viewing the metadata in the Roku (using the * button if I remember correctly) it shows the metadata for the 2004 version of the movie.

Is the Roku going online to retrieve different metadata for the movie? I haven't looked at my Serviio database, as that requires shutting Serviio down and my family might riot :lol: . Just seems strange that the metadata doesn't seem to match. Of course, my Sony and Panasonic devices don't show any metadata other than the release date, so I can't check it that way.
Using Serviio and Plex. Have 2 Roku 2 XS boxes and several Sony SNP-N200 media players, plus a Panasonic ST30 TV that all stream.
Server 4 core AMD 8 gig of ram, Windows Server 2003 R2 x64, gigabit with 802.11N WiFi access points (all players wired)
atc98092

Re: Metadata descrepencies

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 am

Can you edit the actually metadata in the video file and check that there is a date and it is correct ?
Chaneru uses two external movie databases and it passes the title and date. If there isn't a date, you could get the wrong data.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby atc98092 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:21 pm

To my knowledge, there's no embedded metadata in my files. I rip the DVD/Bluray with MakeMKV, and I don't think it adds anything.

My video files all have the movie name and year in the file name. I use Filebot to name everything with title (year), and TV series is Series Name, SxxExx Episode name. I don't think I've had any issues with a TV series, but I haven't really checked. I know with Plex I've had difficulty with Hawaii Five-O, as it keeps jumping to the remake, not the original series.
Using Serviio and Plex. Have 2 Roku 2 XS boxes and several Sony SNP-N200 media players, plus a Panasonic ST30 TV that all stream.
Server 4 core AMD 8 gig of ram, Windows Server 2003 R2 x64, gigabit with 802.11N WiFi access points (all players wired)
atc98092

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:35 pm

I feed the Title, in your case the file name, "The Manchurian Candidate (1962)" to the movie lookups.
Both databases expect "The Manchurian Candidate" for the title with an optional field for year.
I don't edit the title, one database gets the movie for 2004 and the other gets a no find.
If it doesn't have a year parameter, they both take the most current.

Can you try and edit the metadata in the file to supply a year parameter ?
I tried a manual request and the database found "The Manchurian Candidate (1962)" with a year param set to 1962.
I'm not sure if Serviio would return the Title as the filename or the internal movie metadata title / year ????
Jim
Site Admin

Postby atc98092 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

I've never come across a program that allows me to edit embedded metadata in a video file. I assume the MKV container has metadata, I just don't know how to edit it.
atc98092

Postby Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:14 pm

You can use Windows Explorer, just right click a file and select properties, then details.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby atc98092 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:34 am

Jim wrote:You can use Windows Explorer, just right click a file and select properties, then details.

I'll look at that. We moved my daughter and son-in-law into their new house over the weekend, so I didn't get to play much :lol: .

I also noticed that TV shows have no metadata. Is that accurate, or did this particular series not get recognized? I think it was Hawaii Five-O I looked at, and I know Plex would always grab the wrong series of this one.
atc98092

Return to Chaneru 2.0