Roku 2XS not streaming

Release 2 with UPnP discovery

Roku 2XS not streaming

Postby RoGard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 am

I downloaded and installed Chaneru v 2.0.12.0 to my PC and added Chaneru2 to my Roku 2XS.
I opened Chaneru program on PC and changed file locations (I don't keep any files on my C: drive, which appeared to be where Chaneru would look for files. sidenote: it was extremely confusing and frustrating to figure out how to make changes stay put. ARGH). Anyway, i clicked START and Chaneru server is "searching" (found 78) files so far. No idea which files it found (video, photo or music - is there anyway to know what it's found?).
PC Chaneru server screen shows: Search 79 Notify 0 Http 0 Roku 0 Device 4.
can you explain to me what each item means. (I have approx 5,000 songs, 200 pictures and 7 videos in the files to which i directed Chaneru to look. I assume it should work BEFORE it finds ALL the files, yes?)

When i open Chaneru on Roku, after clicking continue with trial, the only screen I get is USB DRIVE, even when I don't have a USB drive connected. (When USB drive connected, Chaneru reads contents, but obviously that's not what I need Chaneru for, i have channels that play USB files.)

It doesn't even show that it's connected to Chaneru on my PC. I've clicked the CONNECT button but that doesn't appear to do anything.

When Chaneru first opens, i get a message from my virus program that allows me to UNBLOCK Chaneru's access which i Unblock.

I've read that a firewall might be an issue. If so, how do i resolve? Although I tend to think I've dealt with that by UNBLOCKING access.

PLEASE help me to get my Roku to stream my videos thru Chaneru. sounds like a great idea, if it works. Would even be worth paying the ten bucks.

thank you.
RoGard

Re: Roku 2XS not streaming

Postby Jim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 pm

The Chaneru server does not search for files. It only provides folder links, which can be changed in the server's Options "Title Bar" section.
The links in the "Title Bar" are the initial folders that is presented to the Roku app.

After you start the server, you will see the IP address and port number that the server is using at the bottom of the window.
The Chaneru server periodically sends "Search" requests to the local network and listens for "Notifies" and "Http Replies".
You should see these counts increment. If not, either there is a firewall blocking the data or your router is not configured for UPnP correctly.
Also there is a count of the number of Roku boxes and UPnP devices that it detects.

Notice that it didn't detect any Roku boxes, "Search 79 Notify 0 Http 0 Roku 0 Device 4"
Now the four devices may be on the same PC. But if you don't see "Notify and Http" counts, it maybe the router is not setup for UPnP.
Check your router documentation for DLNA and UPnP configuration.

The UNBLOCKING only allows the Chaneru server to send and receive on Windows but if the router doesn't allow UPnP broadcasts, you won't get anything.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:50 pm

Thank you. I'm not going to try to mess with my router, so I'll likely uninstall Chaneru from both my computer and Roku. Thank you for the explanations. Much appreciated.
RoGard

Postby RoGard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Actually, if you can give me some guidelines, I'm in my Cisco M10 router set up page (online). Where would I find those items you mentioned? thank you.
RoGard

Postby Jim » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm not sure if it's your manual, "Valet and ValetPlus" BUT
In the section "Wireless>AdvancedWirelessSettings" there is something about "AP Isolation" on page 25 and "SPI Firewall Protection" on page 26

The only mention of UPnP is:
UPnP
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) allows computers to automatically configure the Valet for various Internet applications,suchasgamingandvideoconferencing .
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:28 pm

I don't have a manual. I was hoping to adjust settings via online access. Any thoughts?
RoGard

Postby RoGard » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:35 pm

I see "AP Isolation" in Advanced Wireless Settings, it's currently set to DISABLED. What is that? and does it need to be ENABLED for Chaneru to work properly?

And under SECURITY tab, I see "SPI Firewall Protection" which is ENABLED. Does that need to be DISABLED? Is that safe?
With this info under FILTERS (with only first and last checked):

x Filter Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
Filter Internet NAT Redirection
x Filter IDENT (Port 113)
RoGard

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 am

Found this - http://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Filter-Multicast/td-p/334178
Re: Filter Multicast
Options
‎05-20-2010 03:49 PM
To allow Multicast traffic,you need to enable (check) the box.

Give that a try !

Really sounds backwards ????
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:56 am

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU. that did the trick. i would have NEVER EVER figured that out on my own, so THANK YOU.
I've read some older posts that complained that Chaerus does not play MKV files. I hope that's been fixed because most of my video files are MKV. I had MP4 and AVI files in folders I connected to Chaneru (for testing purposes), it plays the MP4 but not the AVI. Is there a list of file formats Chaneru can read, or not read?

thanks again.
RoGard

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 am

Roku will only play mp4, m4v some mov and wmv if you have an older Roku (3.1 level) but the rest require transcoding.
Versions 1.4b and 2.0 will transcode on the fly if VLC is installed on your PC. That should take care of AVI. But Roku does have a problem with MKV.
The media server Serviio with Chaneru 2.0 will transcode but he has a problem with truncating the video (at the end) but that should get fixed in version 1.4
I have a Serviio beta 1.4 and they work.
Jim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chaneru 2.0