Roku 2XS not streaming

Release 2 with UPnP discovery

Re: Roku 2XS not streaming

Postby RoGard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 am

You mean roku using chaneru will not play MKVs, right? Bc my roku does play MKVs via USB jump drive.
I do have VLC installed on computer. How do I use that with chaneru and roku?
RoGard

Postby Jim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:40 pm

The Roku will play MKV from the USB but they have had a lot of problems trying to stream across the network. Don't know why ????

Turn on VLC in the server's Options "Transcode" and also in the app's options "VLC Usage" (Off,On,Options).

With "Transcode", you can also select "Stream". The "Stream" option passes data through UDP between VLC and the server.
Selecting that, tends to slow VLC down so it doesn't hog your system. Plus it doesn't create an extra data file.
Without "Stream", it passes transcoded data through an interim data file but VLC runs as fast as he can, using all processors.
But you should try both ways to see what is best for you.

The app's options for VLC selection allows selecting the video types. The others don't work yet !
I want to be able to set all the various transcoding options and then pass them to the server, but not yet.

You can also modify the transcoding options in the "VLC_param.txt" file in your "My Roku" folder. But be careful.
Jim
Site Admin

Re: Roku 2XS not streaming on 2nd PC

Postby RoGard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 pm

I just downloaded Chaneru on a second laptop (connected to same wireless router as first) and Roku is not FINDING it when I click on it in ROKU channels menu. I've confirmed I downloaded the same version (2.0.12). When Chaneru first started on 2nd laptop, it asked about unblocking a firewall which i permitted.

Both laptops show ROKU as a found device (two of them actually, b/c i have another ROKU upstairs) but Roku Chaneru only shows "USB Drive."

Now even the first functioning laptop is not connecting/streaming to Roku.

What has happened? I only have 10 days left to my free trial and i really, really, REALLY want this program to work as it's supposed to so i can pay for it and use it extensively. But so far, it's only been semi successful in streaming my media and incredibly successful at frustrating me.

Any help appreciated. thank you.
RoGard

Postby Jim » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Can you turn on logging in the Chaneru app ? (play/pause icon on the right)
Then restart the app with logging on and let it run for about 5 minutes.
Then, WHILE it is running, go to a browser and use the Roku's IP address with port 12345 as the URL to get the log transferred. EX: 192.168.1.2:12345
Please zip it up and send to support@chaneru.com

One other thing to try is, pull up the control bar (play/pause) and click on the "Refresh Devices".
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:06 pm

refresh devies didn't do anything.
and i don't know what this means: go to a browser and use the Roku's IP address with port 12345 as the URL to get the log transferred. .
i've turned debug loging on (chaneru's typo, not mine)
and it's running, about 3 minutes now.
but i don't know how to get my roku's IP address???
RoGard

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 am

Older Roku boxes (software level 3.x), go to Settings, Player Info and it shows the IP Address.
Newer boxes (5.x), go to Settings, About and it shows the IP Address.
go to a browser and use the Roku's IP address with port 12345 as the URL

A browser is Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome. URL is like "www.google.com"

So take the IP address and add the port 12345. EX: 192.168.1.2:12345 and type that into the browser's location box.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:17 pm

everything is working fine now. it turns out the upstairs roku chaneru channel was still updating. now it plays and so does downstairs one. only question remaining, how can i play MKV files? seems only MP4 format plays. (video wise)
RoGard

Postby Jim » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Need to transcode the video.
If you use the Chaneru server, and you have VLC installed, go into the server's options and turn on VLC and in the app's options turn on VLC usage.

Another thing to try is Serviio version 1.4
It has a profile for Chaneru to transcode.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby RoGard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:38 am

can you please dumb that WAY down for me?
I do have VLC installed.
servers options? what server? where? on computer? on roku? which program?
apps options? is chaneru the "app" or is vlc the "app"?
HELP.
RoGard

Postby RoGard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 am

never mind. i figured it out. i went into the chaneru (on roku screen) options and found and turned on VLC.
i didn't do anything to my VLC program on my computer. one question though, do i need to keep/have VLC open on computer in order to play MKVs on roku thru chaneru?
BTW, thank you for your patience and explanations. i would have given up on this program a while back had it not been for your help. and now that i think i have it set up precisely as I was hoping (on three computers, two rokus and plays MKV files), i think I am going to pay for and keep the channel.
RoGard

PreviousNext

Return to Chaneru 2.0