Chaneru in 10.7 Lion, other questions

Discuss the new server for the mac.

Chaneru in 10.7 Lion, other questions

Postby Don Riemer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 pm

Greetings... Chaneru looks like exactly what I want, but I have not had any luck getting it to work. So, for starters...

Does Chaneru work in OS 10.7 Lion? If not, then it's game over. If it will, on to the next question.

Which Server should I download for a Mac Pro with Intel Xeon Quad-Core processors? I figure it's' not the "ppc" one, but I'm not sure about the others. I may have downloaded the wrong file. I took a guess, and downloaded the x86-64. Is that correct?

Upon running the Server program, and clicking Start, I get that message, "Unable to find ports... etc." Your instructions state: "...go into the options and select a port that you would like to use..." I'm afraid I don't know what this means. I know very little about this technology, and I haven't a clue about what numbers to enter here. Can you tell me a bit more?

Thanks, and I hope we can work out the details.

Don Riemer
Don Riemer

Re: Chaneru in 10.7 Lion, other questions

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:59 am

I am running 10.7 and I just tried both the 1.4 and the 1.4b Chaneru versions for Mac 10.6 i386 and they worked.
Could you expand on what the problem is that you are having ?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Don Riemer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 am

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. I just started from scratch, since I had downloaded the wrong server, it seems.

I am still having the same problem, and cannot connect my Mac to my Roku. Here are the steps I have performed...

1 - I added Chaneru to my Roku channels.
2 - I downloaded and unZipped the Chaneru Mac Server, for i386 (Mac Pro, dual Intel Quad Core Xeon processors)
3 - I ran the Chaneru application, and clicked Start. Now I get the message: Unable to acquire socket - 10.0.0.0 ports 80, 8000, 8080.

I don't know what to do next. In your instructions, you state "...go into the options and select a port that you would like to use..." But I don't understand what this means. There are no menus to choose from, only text fields for entering numbers and I have no idea what I should enter. Could you provide more specific instructions?

One other point, which might be relevant. I'm trying to install Chaneru on a Mac Pro tower, connected to an external Airport Base Station, which is how my local WiFi is set up. Does this matter?

I am ready to buy this software, but I need to know it will work first. Can you help?

Thanks again.

Don Riemer
Don Riemer

Postby Jim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 pm

Don, what is the IP address of the tower (System Preferences, Network) and the Roku box (Settings,Player Info) ?
If you go into the server's "Options" window, there is a drop down selection box that shows all the network IP addresses that Chaneru found for the Mac. It may have picked the wrong one for the connection. It should be the same as the tower.
If you change it, click "Update" and then exit and restart the server.

As far as the port, you could use anything that is not being used by another application. I believe the range is 1 to 65536. But I think that it should have worked with one of these, 80, 8000 or 8080.
Again, if you change it, click "Update" and then exit and restart the server.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Don Riemer » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Jim,

Again, many thanks for the additional info. I have made progress, but I still have no connection.

Using your instructions, I found the IP address in my Mac network settings, and entered that into the Chaneru Server application. Now, it seemed to work immediately when I clicked "Start." The bottom of the window now displays my Mac's IP address, with port 8000. So far so good.

Next, I went to my Roku, opened the Chaneru channel, and I entered the same IP address in the data field. But it says "Offline." When I select "Scan for servers," it tells me "No servers found."

What now? If it matters, I use a cable broadband connection for the Internet, using DHCP.

Thanks,

Don Riemer
Don Riemer

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Don, you say "Offline", is this on the "Select Media Server" on the TV screen ?
What is the IP address of the Mac and the Roku ?
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Don Riemer » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, that's correct. On the Roku channel, it says Select Media Server near the top. Then the next line of text at the bottom reads:

Offline ->..............10.0.1.4:8000

This reflects my Mac's IP address of 10.0.1.4, and port 8000. I've tried clicking Connect on the Chaneru Server app, but it has no effect.

By the way, I notice that in Network Preferences, under IP address, there is a listing of "Router" with a slightly different address. That may refer to my Airport Base Station, which is actually where the Roku gets is WiFi. Should I be using this number instead of the IP address?

Thanks again,

Don
Don Riemer

Postby Jim » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Don, go into the server's options and try that other address. Make sure click Update and restart the server.
Jim
Site Admin

Postby Don Riemer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:44 pm

Jim,

I think I'm ready to throw in the towel....

I entered the Router's IP address, and while the text field in Options took the new number, the original Mac IP address continued to display at the bottom of the Chaneru Server window. I tried repeatedly, but it remained on the old number. I tried entering both numbers manually on the Roku Chaneru interface. Each time, when I select "Connect to Server" it immediately displays "Server Timed Out." And when I select Scan for Servers it continues to tell me "No Servers Found."

This is just too much trouble. I appreciate all the work I know you put into this software, but I want something that will be as easy and convenient as the Roku itself. If you get it working more smoothly, please contact me. I am still looking for a solution.

Thanks,

Don Riemer
Don Riemer

Postby Jim » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Hopefully I will get the DLNA functioning soon and all these connection issues will go away.
Jim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chaneru MAC server